The partners in nm2 expect new forms of storytelling to develop that are uniquely suited to the characteristics of digital distribution via broadband. By utilising the unique characteristics of digital broadband networks, the new media will engage our attention in original and compelling ways.
The nm2 project will create both technologies and pilots for the new media. Specifically, nm2 will create: ·
- Robust and easy-to-use production tools that can be integrated in today’s production environments.
- Delivery systems targeted towards widely available consumer entertainment platforms, including set-top boxes, PCs and games consoles.
- Eight productions covering a wide scale of forms and formats, which will provide tested models.
- A software language for expressing and generating meaningful interactive narratives.
nm2 is a collaborative research project that is principle-led and objective-driven. The principles include:
- The outcomes should appeal to a mainstream public.
- The approach should be multidisciplinary, embracing wisdom from the arts, technology and business.
- The methodology should be practice-based, i.e. ideas should be developed through rapid implementation, testing and refinement.
- Objective evaluation should be conducted on dimensions including socio-economic impacts, business positioning, professional assessments, and audience assessments.
The way nm2 is structured to meet these objectives can be illustrated by regarding the project as a pyramid of building blocks, some existing and some to be created within the project, that lead to the ultimate vision
nm2 is structured into 11 workpackages. Workpackages 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 are the R&D wokpackages, where the results of the project are dealt with. Workpackages 1, 8, 9, 10 and 11 are supporting workpackages.
The new media will engage our attention in original and compelling ways